Israel has attacked Abu al-Duhur airbase in northwestern Syria, just days after two restored Sukhoi Su-22 fighter-bombers were filmed flying over the region in one of the clearest signs yet that the country's new government is attempting to rebuild a military aviation capability.

The Israeli strikes took place on August 18 at the former Syrian military installation in Idlib province. Reuters reported eight strikes, citing a Syrian military source who said the runway and storage areas were hit. No casualties were reported.

Follow Air Data News: WhatsApp | Instagram | LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook

Israel subsequently acknowledged the operation, although its stated reason was not the presence of Syrian combat aircraft. Israeli authorities said the attack was intended to prevent a possible Turkish military deployment at Abu al-Duhur, which has attracted attention as Ankara expands its defense relationship with Syria's post-Assad government.

Reports from Syrian and regional media, however, claim that aircraft belonging to the emerging new Syrian Air Force were also present at the base. These reportedly included two refurbished Su-22 fighter-bombers, several Aero L-39 trainers and older helicopters.

There is currently no reliable confirmation that any of those aircraft were destroyed in the Israeli strikes.

Syrian Air Force Su-22
Syrian Air Force Su-22 | TASS

Su-22s recently returned to flight

The timing is nevertheless notable. Video footage that emerged earlier this month showed two Su-22s flying together over northern Syria, apparently after being restored to airworthy condition.

Their appearance was unusual because much of the former Syrian Arab Air Force was destroyed or rendered unusable during and immediately after the collapse of Bashar al-Assad's government in December 2024.

Israel launched an extensive series of attacks against Syrian military installations during that period, targeting airbases, aircraft, air-defense systems, missile sites and weapons stockpiles. The stated objective was to prevent advanced weapons inherited from the Assad government from falling into the hands of the country's new authorities or other armed groups.

The extent of the remaining Syrian combat aircraft inventory has remained difficult to establish since then. Many aircraft had already been in poor condition before Assad's fall, and satellite imagery subsequently showed extensive damage at several military airfields.

Against that background, the appearance of two operational Su-22s was significant despite the age and limited capabilities of the aircraft.

The Su-22 is the export derivative of the Soviet Sukhoi Su-17 variable-sweep-wing fighter-bomber. Syria became one of the type's major operators and used different Su-20 and Su-22 variants extensively, including during the country's civil war.

The aircraft seen recently appear to be survivors of that fleet rather than newly acquired fighters. There has been no indication that Syria has received replacement combat aircraft from abroad.

Former Syrian Air Force MiG-23 at Abu al-Duhur airbase
Former Syrian Air Force MiG-23 at Abu al-Duhur airbase | Halab Today TV

Air force reconstruction remains limited

The new Syrian authorities have shown signs of trying to restore at least part of the aviation infrastructure inherited from the previous government. Helicopters have returned to operation, and the appearance of the Su-22s suggested that work had expanded to fixed-wing combat aircraft.

Abu al-Duhur could have a important role in that process. The base, located southeast of Idlib, had been an important Syrian military airfield before being captured by rebel forces during the civil war and later retaken by government forces.

Its significance has changed again following Assad's fall. Turkish officials have reportedly inspected Syrian military facilities as Ankara and Damascus discuss defense cooperation, including assistance in rebuilding Syria's military capabilities.

That activity appears to have attracted Israeli attention. Israel has repeatedly opposed the deployment of Turkish military systems at certain Syrian bases, particularly equipment that could restrict the Israeli Air Force's freedom of operation over the country.

For the moment, however, the fate of the two recently photographed Su-22s remains unknown. Reports placing restored Syrian aircraft at Abu al-Duhur have not been independently confirmed, and neither Israeli nor Syrian authorities have identified aircraft among the equipment destroyed in the August 18 strikes.