Lithuanian prosecutors have closed a pre-trial investigation into the proposed acquisition of Embraer C-390 Millennium military transport aircraft, concluding there was no evidence of abuse, procurement violations or improper influence during the process, according to local media.
The investigation was opened last year after opposition lawmakers questioned the Ministry of National Defense’s plan to acquire three C-390 jets in a deal estimated at around €800 million.
Critics argued Lithuania should instead modernize its existing Leonardo C-27J Spartan fleet rather than purchase new aircraft.
In a statement released Monday, prosecutors said investigators found no evidence that officials manipulated operational requirements, violated procurement rules or acted in favor of Embraer during the evaluation process.

Authorities also said they found no indication that government officials received direct or indirect personal benefits linked to the proposed acquisition.
The case had become politically sensitive after allegations that former defence minister Dovilė Šakalienė may have held unofficial meetings connected to the procurement process, accusations she denied.
Despite the investigation being closed, Lithuania is no longer actively pursuing the C-390 purchase.
The government has since changed priorities and suspended the acquisition plan, opting instead to focus resources on upgrading the country’s existing C-27J Spartan turboprops.

The shift comes as Lithuania increases spending on air defence and counter-drone capabilities amid growing security concerns in the region following recent incidents involving unmanned aircraft near its borders.
For Embraer, the end of the investigation removes a legal and political cloud that had surrounded the campaign. But the decision does not revive the suspended procurement, which has effectively been postponed until at least 2030, when Lithuania is expected to reassess its future tactical airlift requirements.
